Thursday, July 2, 2009

Can I get a Hallelujah?!? And a side of grits....

My friends Matt & Jane invited me to the House of Blues this past Sunday, where we enjoyed the 'Gospel Brunch'. It is the only place where your soul can be served grits with a nice juicy side of Jesus. My adventures at Gospel Brunch as follows:


At the ticket window. The tickets were somewhere in the area of $40. I guess Jesus ain't payin for this brunch himself, so I agreed to the cost.
Outside of House of Blues / Fenway Park. The trucks belong to the crew who were breaking down from John Henry's wedding the night before. His wedding to a 30 year old. He is 60. Eww.


A fascinating display of hand painted jazz shoes nestled together on the ceiling of the vestibule. The sassiness of it all exceeds what I expected and am even more excited than ever to enter the Music Hall.

The sign outside of the Music Hall, as we waited with salivating mouths and evils to repent from. It reads:
"Moshing, Crowd Surfing, Head Walking and Stage diving leads to injury for yourself and of those around you, please DO NOT engage in these activities. You are subject to EJECTION if you mosh, crown surf, head walk or stage dive. Thank you for your cooperation."
Upon reading this sign, I must check myself......this is BRUNCH, right?!?!

Grits. I do not partake.


My plate. What I selected is as follows:
12:00 ~ biscuits and chicken gravy (hi y'all!)
1:00 ~ cocktail sauce for shrimp at 3:00
2:00 ~ jambalaya (and it ain't Zataran's!)
3:00 ~ shrimp. to go with the cocktail sauce I have placed at 1:00. I realize it is sloppy of me to have separated the sauce and the shrimp by the jambalaya. I too, am irked.
4:00 & 5:00 ~ Waffle, with maple butter and maple syrup. Yes I am aware of how dangerously close the shrimp is to my waffle.
6:00 & 7:00 ~ scrambled eggs
8:00 & 9:00 ~ a mouthwatering sampling of melons
10:00 & 11:00 ~ a sassy rendition of home fried potatoes
My fellow diners in the Music Hall as we wait for the Gospel Choir to start their performance. Right in the middle of this photo is a little man, wearing a white t-shirt, bandana, and he's walking. He was sitting at our table, and we think he was famous. Since we couldn't figure out who he was, we referred to him as "Little Itty Bitty Famous Guy."

A desparate attempt by Jane to photograph Little Itty Bitty Famous Guy, under the disguise of photographing me sampling my bloody mary. You can barely make him out....

It begins.

The emcee, who jumped off stage and for some reason shoved the microphone under Jane's nose, encouraging her to yell 'HALLELUJAH'. You can't see Jane, but you can see her cheek, and she is clearly red with embarassement. I could not be more pleased with this turn of events.

Jane and I. Jane is still clearly in shock after being victimized by the HALLELUJAH lady.

Ahhh.... the Temple Worshippers! They begin!! Praise JESUS.

Not a clear image of my two fave choir ladies. One is tiny and the other is large. And MAN could they sing.

Matt. Feeling 'his praise'. It is at this point that I begin to question why I was raised in the Protestant Episcopalian church. Cuz this is WAY. MORE. FUN.

My girls again. I imagine they are named Celice and Nila.


The Choir Director. She was awesome.

They pulled all the people who were celebrating birthdays up on stage. These folks were required to do a dance and shake it. In front of everybody. I am just thanking God that it isn't Jane's birthday. She would die.

No comments: