Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Blogs To Come, Emergency Appendectomy's, World's End and Gluten Free Baking. Can I get a Hallelujah?!?!


Hello! I have been delinquent with my blog, but I can assure you it is not due to lack of interest. I am working on two blogs; one about the most delicious brunch I had on Sunday that became a spiritual event; and the other about the most amazing little hike we had on Saturday. Sounds boring, but I can assure you it will be entertaining! I can't find the thingy for my camera that helps me download the pics to my computer, so please be patient. There are two clues in this blog title. Chew on that for a while.....

In addition to the two adventures I had over the weekend that you will soon find out about, my best friend Lisa had a horrible emergency appendectomy. So I have been helping take care of her as well. I have been a Visiting Nurse, of sorts.

So now, I have to share with you this fabulous recipe I made last night. My boss's birthday is today, so I wanted to bring in a decadent morsel to help celebrate it. HOWEVER, (in addition to being the cutest Dutch woman you will ever meet) my boss is:

a) Lactose Intolerant
b) Can only eat Gluten Free foods
c) Cannot eat Wheat
d) Hates Chocolate
e) Is a Vegetarian

Oh boy.

So what to do? I racked my brain, flirted with the idea of this dessert and that dessert, but could never come up with anything that would enable her to actually enjoy it. There was always a road block somewhere, in some recipe. You think you found the perfect one and then *BAM*, it asks for milk, yogurt, or chocolate.
After hours of grueling research to find the perfect match for her birthday sweet tooth, I found it.

CARROT CAKE.

But then, I thought WAIT A MINUTE, cream cheese frosting she cannot have! DAMMIT! But I did not despair. I went to Whole Foods to buy my gluten-free, wheat-free Soy flour and explored the land of non-dairy dairy products. And guess what, non-dairy, vegan, gluten-free cream cheese exists!!! The recipe went off without a hitch and it is DELICIOUS. Trust.

This was easily the most amazing gluten-free, wheat-free, vegan, non-dairy* carrot cake experience of my life.

*she can eat eggs. I did add the eggs.

No comments: