Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Obama


Today marks the day that many or most people have been looking forward to since Obama began his campaign for the Presidency. It is an exciting new day, but it is by no means a fresh, clean slate. President Obama has his work cut out for him, and I don't doubt that he will give 100% to our country. But I am a little worried about the frame of mind of the regular joes out here. Throughout the day today, as I sat here in my humble cubicle, trying to log on to a live webcast of the Swearing In and Inaugural Speech, I could here the revelers on my floor, shouting for joy and some even crying over the new day that has dawned. True, it is exciting, and certainly emotional. I heard someone sing "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" from the Wizard of Oz. I heard someone wishing President Bush good riddance with a loud raspberry sound immediately following. I saw on Facebook, status updates like, so and so "feels good being Patriotic....it's been like, 8 years!". And another status that said so and so "is wondering how we elected the dumbest kid in the class two terms in a row".

I would like to remind my [hundreds of millions of] faithful readers, that there are thousands of American families that have lost a loved one since the war in Iraq and Afghanistan started. It is not necessarily with joy that they welcome a new President. Perhaps new hope, but joy? I am sure this day is tough, a day to reflect upon what has transpired since September 11, how much has changed in our country, but most importantly how much has changed for them personally. I imagine that hearing things like "Now I can be Patriotic again" isn't a comment that they will want to high-five you about.


You should NEVER HAVE LOST YOUR PATRIOTISM TO BEGIN WITH.


I think we need to be mindful of what we say, who we say it around, and remember the fallen. Thank a Soldier today. Thank a Marine. Thank a Sailor.


I am so glad President Obama acknowledged these men and women with the honor that he did in his Speech today. I thought it was beautiful. Here is what he said:


"As we consider the road that unfolds before us, we remember with humble gratitude those brave Americans who, at this very hour, patrol far-off deserts and distant mountains. They have something to tell us today, just as the fallen heroes who lie in Arlington whisper through the ages. We honor them not only because they are guardians of our liberty, but because they embody the spirit of service; a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves. And yet, at this moment -- a moment that will define a generation -- it is precisely this spirit that must inhabit us all."


No comments: