Friday, January 16, 2009

Thanks Jeff!!


It is with mixed emotions that I reflect upon yesterday's incredible emergency water landing on the Hudson River. Mixed because A) I am a terrible flyer and nothing scares me more than take-off and if you think I am kidding, try flying with me, and B) I am so amazed at the expertise of Pilot Chesly Sullenberger, who managed to land the plane, in water, and prevent what could have been an explosive horrible end to this crazy story. 'Sully's' experience as a pilot has restored (some) sense of faith I have in pilots and the structural integrity of an airplane. These guys really do know what they are doing. And I guess planes aren't made out of tin cans after all. It would be nice if they could make planes out of the same materials they make the Black Box out of. The Black Box always survives crashes. Or maybe a giant Nerf plane would be good. Impact would be not so bad, but I digress.....


I would like to know a little more about Sullenberger's co-pilot, Jeff Skiles, 49, of Oregon, Wis., a 23-year US Airways veteran, who no doubt also played a pivotal part in landing the plane and saving 155 lives. He is getting very little kudos, here, but for a few honorable mentions in the form of short little sentences mentioning that, well, he was the co-pilot. Not much else besides that. They might as well asterix the guy, and mention him in tiny font at the end of each article. It's not fair!! Jeff had a hand in this, doesn't he get a pat on the back too? So, I will do it.


GREAT JOB JEFF! SULLY COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU! In the words of Bette Midler, did you ever knoooowwww that you're my heeeeeeeeeerrrrooooooooooo........


At this time I would also like to say RIP, Geese. You will be missed.

No comments: