Friday, March 27, 2009

This Is Giving Me Grey Hairs

I'm all for tradition, I really am, but sometimes this one gives me a heart attack. Every night at sunset, to signal the day's end, the USS Constitution fires off her cannon. They call it "The Sunset Serenade". More like "Sunset False Terror Attack". Because sunset is at a different time every night, 365 days out of the year, you don't know when to expect this. And because I live two blocks from the USS Constitution, I can hear it. Loud and clear people! Sometimes it sounds far away, but most times it sounds as if they wheeled the cannon to my driveway and set it off there. I don't seem to get used to this event, even though I have lived there for several years. Sometimes I hit the deck, sometimes I run to the basement to seek shelter, sometimes I just jump out of my skin yelling a naughty profanity that would make my Mom yell my name in two parts: JO!! HANNA!!!. It really depends.
Quite like how I always burn the roof of my mouth with Stouffer's French Bread pizza, when will I learn to acclimate myself to this? It's EVERY. NIGHT. And it still scares the shit out of me.

No comments: